Well, honestly, not really. I love beautiful photographs. I would love to be able to take them. A couple of years ago when I was in college I attended a photography class with a friend and learned a lot of interesting things, but I've never done much with it. In fact I only remember the basics, you know the kind of stuff you can look up on any "7 tips for beginning photographers" pin on Pinterest.
Anyway, that whole blurb was just my intro to my intro for this post. Now to the real intro. (I am all over the place today, I am VERY caffeinated thanks to waking up with a horrid headache)
Since my youngest was starting school a day later than my oldest, and I am NOT a morning person, I decided it would be fun to do Back to School pictures the Saturday before school started at White Sands National Monument. I figured it would be a cute way to combine both back to school and we have moved into one photo shoot. So off we went.
Let me start by saying that White Sands is beautiful, stunning (really, and not in the clickbait overstating way) and beyond description.
I think that the sky in the SouthWest is hard to explain to people who haven't experienced it. When you are in other parts of the country with trees, and hills, it is hard to understand how truly
vast the sky can be when they aren't in the way. I've lived all over the world, and there is just something about seeing the sky reach from horizon to horizon that speaks to my soul.
These are really cool pictures of the landscape aren't they? White sand, blue sky, desert foliage. Ahhh, the beauty of God's creation.
But wait, wasn't this supposed to be a First Day of School photo shoot? Where are the children? Oh, the children. Well, yes. They were there. Daddy was too for that matter.
Something else about being in a very sunny place covered in WHITE, it's bright, really blindingly bright. Like squint all the time bright.
So here is how the photo shoot actually went.
"Girls, go stand on that hill"
"Okay Mommy"
Notice the angle of the sun, it was not shining directly in their eyes, in fact it was perpendicular to them.
"It's bright Mommy"
"Sorry kiddo, close your eyes and open them when I get to three."
SUCCESS!!
Now time for the other kiddo. This should be easy, she's older.
"Open your eyes kiddo."
"I'm trying, it's too bright."
I'll spare you most of the other shots that followed this same thread.
"I said open your eyes, not your mouth" Sigh.
Okay, I give up. Here, take these.
And that's all folks, at least my far off shots were cute.
Time to head home.
So note to self. Next time, white sand is like snow, and too bright for shots with kiddos who hate the sun in their eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment